
Jones warns of huge intensity in Springboks-All Blacks opener
Felix Jones expects a fierce start when the Springboks meet the All Blacks on Saturday, with both sides arriving well prepared for the test.
Springboks assistant coach Felix Jones expects an exceptional level of intensity when South Africa face New Zealand on Saturday. He believes both teams will arrive prepared, although neither side’s build-up can fully reproduce the demands of this fixture.
The All Blacks have played three franchise opponents in the Stormers, Sharks and Bulls. South Africa, by contrast, have completed an international preparation programme involving the Barbarians, England, Scotland, Wales and Argentina, while some players stayed behind in the country for specialised work.
Jones said New Zealand’s recent matches had reinforced the Bok coaching staff’s understanding of their approach. The All Blacks have shown changes in their kicking frequency, possession habits, phase numbers and time with the ball, while maintaining a clear identity in attack, defence and their kicking game.
South Africa have also studied issues raised by the franchise matches. Jones highlighted breakdown contests involving tucked shoulders and non-wrapping arm movements, while the South African teams created chances near the New Zealand line but failed to turn several lineout opportunities into driving-maul scores. He stressed that the physical contest must remain within the laws of the game.
The coach also pointed to the influence of All Blacks head coach Dave Rennie, whose teams are known for generating rapid ruck speed and a forceful style. That physical approach will require close attention to player safety when the sides meet.
A fast opening is another concern for South Africa. New Zealand have traditionally sought to establish pressure early, and Jones recalled their quick start in Auckland last year before the Springboks recovered. South Africa won that match 43-10, but scrumhalf Grant Williams said the result belongs to the past and carries no direct influence into this week’s contest.
Williams is waiting for Thursday’s team announcement, with Morne van den Berg, Cobus Reinach and Herschel Jantjies also in contention at scrumhalf. He said any selected player would focus on helping South Africa move forward and representing the team against an All Blacks side expected to begin at full force.
Source: SABC Sport



