African/Sport

Boxing

Boxing champion Zolani Tete shot dead outside Eastern Cape home
Photo: The South African — Sport

Boxing champion Zolani Tete shot dead outside Eastern Cape home

Former two-time world champion Zolani Tete was killed in a shooting outside his Mdantsane home, with police investigating murder and attempted murder.

Former two-time boxing world champion Zolani Tete has been shot dead outside his home in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape. The 38-year-old was attacked at about 6:30 p.m. on Friday while waiting for the residential gate to open.

Two armed men wearing balaclavas reportedly got out of a vehicle and fired at Tete. He tried to drive into the yard to get away, but sustained fatal gunshot wounds and was pronounced dead at the scene, Eastern Cape police spokesperson Brigadier Nobuntu Gantana said.

A 27-year-old woman travelling with Tete was also wounded several times. She was taken to hospital and remains receiving treatment. His manager, Mlandeli Tengimfene, confirmed the death and said Tete’s next-of-kin had been notified.

Police have opened murder and attempted-murder cases. The reason for the attack has not been established, and no arrests have been made. Tributes have begun from sporting and political bodies, recognising Tete’s contribution to boxing and his importance to the Eastern Cape.

Tete had been preparing to return to competition after his four-year anti-doping suspension ended on 29 July 2026. He had tested positive for stanozolol after defeating Jason Cunningham in 2022, but his management had lined up a comeback fight for 28 November 2026. He had targeted a third world title.

His career included an IBF junior-bantamweight title reign from 2014 to 2015 and a WBO bantamweight championship run between 2017 and 2019. In 2017, he stopped Siboniso Gonya in 11 seconds in Belfast, a knockout recognised as the fastest in a world title fight. Tete ended his career with 29 wins from 34 bouts, including 22 knockouts.

Source: The South African — Sport