African/Sport

Football

Fury says Joshua fight may be called off over Hearn money dispute
Photo: Vanguard Nigeria · Sports

Fury says Joshua fight may be called off over Hearn money dispute

Tyson Fury says his proposed November 20 bout with Anthony Joshua may collapse after promoter Eddie Hearn sought improved financial terms.

Tyson Fury says his proposed fight with Anthony Joshua may not go ahead, blaming a dispute over the financial terms sought by Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn. The heavyweight bout is scheduled for November 20 in New York City, although the deal is not yet fully settled.

Fury delivered the update on Instagram, saying negotiations appeared to be breaking down because Hearn wanted more money. He also attacked Hearn and Joshua in an angry message aimed at the team behind the long-awaited contest between the British heavyweights.

Joshua and Fury are understood to have signed contracts for the fight. Hearn, however, has maintained that further work is required before the agreement can be completed, leaving the event’s status uncertain despite the planned date and venue.

Fury also accused Hearn of seeking additional funds from Turki Alalshikh, the Saudi boxing figure linked to several major sporting ventures. He claimed Hearn and Joshua had already benefited from boxing, darts and snooker arrangements connected to Alalshikh and questioned why they were asking for more money.

The proposed bout has been discussed for years as a meeting between two of the leading names of the heavyweight division. Fury’s latest comments mark a fresh public breakdown in negotiations and put the November 20 date at risk. His criticism included a renewed accusation that Joshua’s side had avoided making the fight happen, extending a rivalry that has continued for a decade.

Source: Vanguard Nigeria · Sports