African/Sport

Football

FIFA vice-president Sandor Csanyi withdraws support for Infantino

FIFA vice-president Sandor Csanyi has withdrawn his support for Gianni Infantino, citing controversial decisions and Kevin Lamour’s dismissal.

FIFA vice-president Sandor Csanyi has withdrawn his support for president Gianni Infantino, saying the dismissal of former chief operating officer Kevin Lamour ended his confidence in the leadership of world football’s governing body.

Csanyi, a FIFA Council member, communicated his position in a letter sent to Infantino on Tuesday. The Hungarian official said he no longer believed Infantino could lead FIFA effectively while upholding the shared values that had previously shaped their cooperation.

The Hungarian Football Federation president pointed to several disputed decisions connected to this year’s World Cup. He also raised concerns about plans Infantino had been developing to outsource FIFA competitions and hand their organisation to outside parties.

Lamour’s departure followed a public disagreement with senior FIFA directors last month. The Frenchman had criticised Infantino’s abandoned proposal to permit private investment in World Cups, a position that put him at odds with the organisation’s leadership.

Csanyi described Lamour’s removal as the decisive development in his change of position. He said the decision raised serious questions about professional judgement, ethical standards and leadership at FIFA.

The criticism has also drawn concern from within European football. UEFA vice-president Laura McAllister said Lamour’s dismissal created a troubling signal for people seeking change in the sport’s administration. Csanyi remains a FIFA vice-president and Council member, while also leading the Hungarian Football Federation.

Source: Vanguard Nigeria · Sports