African/Sport

Football

Paul Pogba's Monaco contract terminated after injury setbacks
Photo: Daily Post Nigeria · Sport

Paul Pogba's Monaco contract terminated after injury setbacks

Monaco have terminated Paul Pogba’s contract, ending the 33-year-old midfielder’s time at the Ligue 1 club after repeated injuries.

Monaco have officially ended Paul Pogba’s contract, the Ligue 1 club announced on Wednesday. The 33-year-old midfielder’s agreement was due to run until June 2027, but it has now been terminated after a difficult spell affected by injuries.

Monaco said the targets set for Pogba had been met only in part. He is currently sidelined by a thigh injury and had only recently returned from a knee problem, adding to the fitness issues that limited his involvement with the club.

The former Manchester United and Juventus player has also found it difficult to regain his previous level since completing a doping suspension. Pogba was part of France’s World Cup-winning team in 2018, but his return to elite football has been disrupted by injuries and a lack of regular appearances.

Despite ending the agreement, Monaco praised Pogba’s attitude and standards. The club said his determination and mentality remained strong, while his experience and knowledge allowed him to make a positive contribution to teammates even when he was unable to play.

Pogba acknowledged that he had not featured in as many matches as intended. He thanked Monaco’s president, management, players, staff and supporters for their belief during his time with the club.

Source: Daily Post Nigeria · Sport