
Ghana FA Congress sets US$200,000 fund for ex-national players
The GFA will commit US$200,000 over four years to healthcare for former Ghana national team players through its new Foundation Player Welfare Initiative.
The Ghana Football Association has committed US$200,000 to a healthcare welfare fund for former national team players. The initiative was announced by GFA President Kurt Edwin Simeon-Okraku during the Association’s 32nd Ordinary Congress at the Ghanaman Soccer Centre of Excellence in Prampram on Thursday.
The programme will operate through the GFA Foundation Player Welfare Initiative. Under its structure, US$50,000 will be allocated every year for the next four years to support eligible former Ghana national team players facing medical challenges. The annual allocation produces a total commitment of US$200,000 across the four-year period.
The fund is intended specifically for healthcare needs. The announcement did not identify the former players who may benefit, list their medical conditions or set out a public application process. It established the financial commitment and placed the intervention under the GFA Foundation, creating a dedicated mechanism for support rather than a single payment linked to one case.
Simeon-Okraku said the initiative was designed to honour former national team players who represented Ghana during their careers. He said their dedication, sacrifice and service had brought pride and glory to the country, while many continued to face significant health challenges after leaving the game.
“Our former national team players brought immense pride and glory to Ghana through their dedication, sacrifice and service to the nation,” Simeon-Okraku said. “Many of them continue to face significant health challenges long after their playing careers have ended, and it is only fitting that the football family stands with them during these difficult moments.”
The four-year design gives the GFA’s commitment a defined annual value. Rather than announcing US$200,000 as an undifferentiated sum, the Association has assigned US$50,000 to each year. The available information does not specify whether unused money can be carried forward, how individual awards will be calculated or whether assistance will be paid directly to healthcare providers or to beneficiaries.
The initiative also separates the welfare of former national players from current football operations described at Congress. Its stated beneficiaries are players who previously represented Ghana at national-team level and are now dealing with medical conditions. That scope distinguishes the fund from general support for retired footballers, club players or other people who have worked in Ghanaian football but did not play for the national team.
For former internationals, the announcement places healthcare support within the GFA’s stated responsibilities to the wider national-team family. The fund’s value is limited to the announced US$50,000 yearly allocation, but its four-year duration provides a continuing framework for assistance. The GFA described the US$200,000 pledge as one of its significant direct interventions in the welfare of former national stars.
The next stage will be the implementation of the Foundation Player Welfare Initiative. The GFA will need to apply the announced annual allocation to eligible former players with medical needs over the four-year period. Details on eligibility, assessment, disbursement and the timing of the first support were not provided at the Congress announcement.
Source: Graphic Online · Sports



