
Springboks give Kolisi and Nche fitness boost before All Blacks opener
Siya Kolisi and Ox Nche remain in contention for the Springboks’ All Blacks opener after making encouraging progress in training.
Siya Kolisi and Ox Nche remain in contention for South Africa’s opening Test against New Zealand after the Springboks received an encouraging update on their fitness. Assistant coach Felix Jones said neither player showed a problem during training, although both must complete another session before their availability is confirmed.
Kolisi has been recovering from a hamstring issue sustained against Argentina in Buenos Aires. The captain left that match after 24 minutes. Nche’s recent playing time has been even more limited, with the prop featuring for only eight minutes since picking up a knee injury against England.
Head coach Rassie Erasmus has previously played down the seriousness of the concerns, describing them as minor niggles rather than full injuries. The final decision on both players will therefore come after another assessment before the team is named on Thursday.
Franco Mostert is also making good progress, leaving South Africa without any other significant injury concerns before the series opener. The potential return of Kolisi and Nche would give the Springboks more selection options as they prepare to face the All Blacks.
South Africa have used input from the United Rugby Championship teams that played New Zealand during the All Blacks’ tour of the country. Jones said those discussions produced repeated observations about the breakdown and the defence of mauls, two areas the Springboks have worked on ahead of the Test.
The squad has also tested a virtual training system aimed at sharpening players’ responses to contestable kicks. Erasmus has held back his team announcement, citing respect for New Zealand and a desire to reduce the time available for the All Blacks to prepare.
Source: SABC Sport



