
Tyson Fury says Anthony Joshua never recovered from Ruiz defeat
Tyson Fury has questioned Anthony Joshua’s confidence, saying his 2019 loss to Andy Ruiz Jr left him unable to return to his best.
Tyson Fury has claimed Anthony Joshua never recovered from his 2019 defeat by Andy Ruiz Jr, accusing his fellow British heavyweight of losing confidence after the shock stoppage. Fury said Joshua had been affected ever since the loss and described him as reluctant to exchange punches and mentally fragile.
Joshua surrendered his world titles to Ruiz at Madison Square Garden four years ago after being stopped in the seventh round. Fury referred to that fight while attacking Joshua in a series of social media posts, arguing that the defeat had exposed a lasting weakness in his opponent’s mindset.
The comments came as negotiations for a proposed Fury-Joshua fight remain unsettled. The two boxers have signed separate agreements for a meeting in November, but the location has become a major issue. Joshua’s side agreed to a UK venue, while Saudi-backed organisers are seeking to move the event to New York.
Madison Square Garden is being considered for November 20, with Netflix expected to broadcast the bout. Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn has sent Sela, the Saudi event organiser and financier, a list of requested changes. The demands include improved compensation because fighting in the United States would create different tax consequences for Joshua, as well as arrangements covering travel, accreditation and media duties.
Fury has blamed the uncertainty on what he described as increased financial demands from Joshua and Hearn. He said the fight may not be signed and suggested it could collapse, while also criticising the parties involved in the negotiations. Fury has previously said he wants the long-awaited all-British heavyweight contest, but the venue and commercial terms remain unresolved.
The proposed bout has been discussed for years, yet the two former world champions have never met in the ring. With no official venue or date confirmed, Fury’s latest comments add to the uncertainty around whether the November contest will proceed.



