Laryea apologises after WBA eliminator disqualification ends unbeaten run
Ghanaian boxer John Laryea apologised after a ninth-round disqualification by low blows ended his unbeaten record against Adrian Robledo in Buenos Aires.
John “The Expensive Boxer” Laryea was disqualified in the ninth round of his WBA featherweight world-title eliminator against Argentina’s Adrian Maximiliano Robledo. The result changed Laryea’s professional record from 17-0-1 to 17-1-1 and ended his unbeaten run.
The contest took place last Saturday at the Cúpula Arena inside Casino Buenos Aires. Robledo was awarded the victory and moved nearer to a possible world-title opportunity, while Laryea lost a major chance to position himself for a championship challenge.
Robledo had begun to take control before the stoppage and dropped Laryea in the fifth round. The Ghanaian was later deducted a point in the seventh after repeated infringements, while two connected headbutts were noted but did not lead to punishment.
The referee, Puerto Rico’s Janny Guzmán, had already seen two low blows go unpunished in the ninth round. A further low blow then led to the disqualification, ending the fight and handing Robledo the result.
Laryea accepted responsibility for the outcome and apologised to his team, supporters and sponsors. He also acknowledged the decision, saying he respected boxing’s verdict and accepted it with grace.
The 24-year-old described the defeat as a setback rather than the end of his career. He said he would review the performance and work on his tactical, mental and physical preparation before returning with his team.
Laryea is a former two-time WBO Africa champion and the reigning IBF Continental Africa champion. He thanked his team, Legacy Rise Sports, his sponsors and former Ghana football international Asamoah Gyan for their support, while his management said his career remained far from over.
Source: Graphic Online · Sports



