African/Sport

Boxing

Ryan Garcia and Conor Benn accused of ducking Romero by champion
Photo: Boxing News (boxingnewsonline.net)

Ryan Garcia and Conor Benn accused of ducking Romero by champion

Rolando Romero has accused Ryan Garcia and Conor Benn of avoiding him, claiming his power is too dangerous for either fighter to accept.

Rolando Romero has accused Ryan Garcia and Conor Benn of avoiding a fight with him, calling both men “juice heads” and claiming he could finish either career with one punch. Garcia and Benn are due to meet next month, but Romero declined to predict the outcome when asked about the contest.

The American said neither fighter wanted to share the ring with him because of the damage he could cause. Romero previously defeated Garcia by unanimous decision in a bout 15 months ago, before Garcia went on to win the WBC welterweight title.

Garcia claimed that belt by beating Mario Barrios earlier this year. His victory followed a unanimous-decision defeat by Romero in a challenge for the vacant WBA welterweight title. Garcia had returned from a one-year ban after Ostarine was found in his system following his win over Devin Haney in April 2024.

Benn has also faced a major doping controversy. His scheduled grudge fight with Chris Eubank Jr in September 2022 was cancelled after Clomifene was detected in Benn’s sample. He is set to compete at welterweight against Garcia, although he has said he does not intend to remain at 147 pounds regardless of the result.

Romero’s comments come as he prepares to defend his welterweight crown against Teofimo Lopez on Saturday. It will be his first title defence since his victory over Garcia, while Garcia-Benn will give Benn an opportunity to challenge for world honours for the first time.

The two upcoming fights leave Romero and Garcia as world champions in the welterweight picture, while Benn enters the next month’s meeting without having won a world title. Romero’s previous victory over Garcia is the basis for his claim that both fighters have chosen not to face him again.

Source: Boxing News (boxingnewsonline.net)